Friday, May 13, 2011

Gaudy to Mod-y

One night while perusing Craigslist I came upon an ad for two tables and a chair.  I didn’t really need anything, but since I shop by dollar amount and the price was <$100, I took a looksie.  I think there was something lost in translation, because when I opened the posting the pictures showed an end table, a small desk and this chest.  

April 006
Before

After a number of back & forth negotiation emails, the seller and I agreed upon $50 total for the chest and desk (which will debut sometime in the future) so let’s just say I got this bad boy for twenty. five. bones.  Booyah!

Picking up the darn things was a harrowing experience that involved: many texts, talking to the seller’s brother, waiting for the seller’s brother’s wife to answer the door, us leaving and going back, the wife waking up and opening up the garage door (still in her jammies [at 7 p.m.]), getting a banana’s foster shake from Culver’s (I needed something after all that!) The thought that someone posted sweet, sweet outdated furniture online as a scam to murder me did cross my mind a time or two.  I need to stop watching crime dramas.  

Anywho, we got the pieces home and after priming and trying three different whites here she is in all her glossy glory.  The fabric is Dwell Studio Bella Porte Twilight from fabric.com.  I also spray painted the hardware Rustoleum oil-rubbed bronze.  Here is the sassy after!

April 075April 076 

The chest is cedar lined, which I didn’t realize until I had it home.  Bonus!  Now all of our blankets will… smell like cedar?

April 007

Here’s the official before and after!  

April 006
Before
April 074
After

Linking to:


 
The DIY Show Off


9 comments:

  1. Beautfiul! Don't you love Craigslist. I found you via Shabby Nest. I will stop by again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love it.... I am looking to do the same with a chest or a very sturdy coffee table for my entry way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this! Doggone it Jules, you are good! The fabric is so so yummy, any scraps to make a throw pillow or something?

    So where is this baby going? Family Room?

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU did good, girl!!! Love it!!! Hi, Im Meme from Screaming Meme...I want to personally invite you to come visit my blog and sign up for my Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Giveaway! I hope to see you there! Now, I am off to read some of your lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this! The white is so crisp and shiny! Great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great makeover! Doesn't look like Grandma's chest anymore! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in love with that fabric....where did you buy it??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, girls! Jennifer, the fabric is Dwell Studio Bella Porte Twilight from fabric.com. There are different colors of the same pattern and free shipping on orders > $35!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! I love that you wheeled and dealed to get an awesome price. It really caught my eye because I used the same fabric to reupholster an old chair but it Brindle.

    ReplyDelete