Friday, August 12, 2011

We’re Jammin’

And I hope you like jammin’ too.

But guess what?  This post isn’t just about a little Marley to ease you into your weekend, it is actually about jam, the stuff you put on toast or PB & J.  I simply followed the recipe in the Sure-Jell package to make Strawberry Freezer Jam.

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups crushed strawberries (buy 1 qt. fully ripe strawberries)
  • 4 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 box SURE.JELL Fruit Pectin

Start by cleaning your berries {yes, I sanitized my sink before tossing in the strawberries} and the jars in which you will store your end product.  I used 8 oz. glass Ball jars that are freezer safe.

028

Remove the stems and any bad spots from the berries, cut into smaller pieces and chop in food processor.  You don’t want to totally puree, but leave small chunks of berries.  You will need two cups of mushed berries per package of Sure-Jell.

  030031036

Put your two cups of decimated berries in a bowl and add *gasp* four cups of granulated white sugar.

037038

The excitement is mounting!

042

Mix strawberry and sugar mixture well and let sit for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Meanwhile, bring pectin and 3/4 cup of water to boil, stirring constantly.  Boil for one minute, continuing to stir {I used a whisk to de-lump the pectin}.  Add pectin to strawberry mixture and stir for three minutes.  Most of the sugar should be dissolved.

044

Pour immediately into your containers, using a canning funnel.  Fill, leaving at least 1/2” of space for expansion.  Make sure the tops of your containers are clean, wiping any sloppiness before putting on your lids.  Let rest at room temperature for 24 hours, then freeze.  I left out one jar for immediate consumption.  With a spoon.  It can stay in the fridge for three weeks.

048

This is a fairly simple process that if I can do, you can do too.  And let me tell you, the end results are worth it! Sugarygoodness!

Oh, I even had some crushed strawberries left over, so I mixed them with a container of banana crème yogurt and the boys had an exciting dessert after dinner.  Yes, that IS excitement for toddlers!

043

Go get jammin’!

3 comments:

  1. We go through ours by January... I made a ton in June and I guarantee it will be gone in no time flat :( Now its homemade salsa canning time... which is exhausting!!! Are you guys canning any of your garden veggies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmmmmm! We just canned tomatoes and my husband canned some homemade hot sauce with hot peppers from the garden. I'd rather have jam! Looks so good! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delish, and fun to do. I never have done canning myself. Thanks for popping over and your comment about my mega sandwich lol! I am betting something else would have been a better choice, in fact I saw a few things I would have liked better. My husband and boys convinced me to go along with them. Better for me to be a leader not a follower I guess:)

    ReplyDelete