Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Oops, I did it again

I thought I would be Super Mom and make my kids pancakes on a non-weekend day… and I’m not talking about pancakes from a box, I’m talking about pancakes from SCRATCH {using this, my favorite pancake recipe}!  Well, wouldn’t you know that I was nearing the end of the recipe when I realized that I did not have eggs.  Ugh!  I already had my milk souring so I didn’t want to take the time to go to the store, so I began feverishly Googling egg substitutes.  I found a number of vegan options, but didn’t have the patience or ingredients to grind flax seed and soak it in almond milk or whatever the heck they were telling me to do.  Based on some of the recommendations I found, I thought I could resort to my trusty pantry full of pumpkin. :)

  July 198

I added a splash of oil which was probably not needed, because these bad boys were DENSE!  I also added a few shakes of cinnamon, and couple dashes of ginger and nutmeg.  Look at me improvise!

  July 200

My {almost} one year old slammed them, as did my {almost} three year old.  They love pumpkin just like their mama!

If you’re feeling too lazy to click the link above, here is the awesome pancake recipe from Allrecipes.com:

Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons white vinegar
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • {I also added probably 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp each of ginger & nutmeg}
  • 1 egg {I used 1/4 c pumpkin instead}
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • cooking spray

 

Directions
  1. Combine milk with vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to "sour".
  2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt {and cinnamon, ginger & nutmeg} in a large mixing bowl. Whisk egg and butter into "soured" milk. Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and whisk until lumps are gone.
  3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and coat with cooking spray. Pour 1/4 cupfuls of batter onto the skillet, and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip with a spatula, and cook until browned on the other side.

Try these {modified or not} - I promise you will love them!

1 comment:

  1. Well look at you, all creative and stuff ;) Exactly how much pumpkin are you hoarding?

    ReplyDelete